Re: RARA-AVIS: Literary Types

From: Chris M ( cptpipes@hotmail.com)
Date: 25 Jul 2005

John asked:
>someone please explain why Mailer is considered literature. I find him
>pretentious and unreadable. oh, did I just answer my own question?

Most of Mailer's work I just don't have time for with all the other great books out there. But The Executioner's Song is a masterpiece, and Tough Guys is a fun read (or I at least thought it was when I read it for an essay in high school).

I'd hoped that by saying "literary types" I was acknowledging that a guy who is accecpted by many as a writer of literature has also written a fun, pulpy read that is anything but high art. If you'd rather get into "he sucks---no, you suck" type debate, we're in trouble because I have a feeling we would agree too much to have any fun with the argument.

p.s. Apologies to Terrill, not only for dragging his good name into this thread, but for misspelling it along the way.