Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Two for the Money

From: Brian Thornton ( tieresias@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 24 Jul 2005

Charles wrote:

> Hi, Jeff,
>
> Sorry to hear you didn't like the book; obviously, different people
> will like different things, and that's fine. I can tell you, though,
> that many people don't agree with you. Literally every week I get e-
> mail messages from people complimenting TWO FOR THE MONEY and asking
> us to reprint more of the novels in the Nolan series -- and we
> certainly don't get messages like that in response to every title we
> publish.
>
> I'm not saying you should have liked it, of course, but lots of
> people did like it, so I feel comfortable describing your reaction as
> idiosyncratic rather than typical.

No offense, Charles, and if I'm out of line here, feel free to disregard this missive, but I find this passage somewhat troubling:

"I can tell you, though, that many people don't agree with you. Literally every week I get e- mail messages from people complimenting TWO FOR THE MONEY and asking us to reprint more of the novels in the Nolan series -- and we certainly don't get messages like that in response to every title we publish."

It just doesn't sound like a discussion we ought to be having on RARA AVIS. I have two Hard Case Crime editions in my massive TBR list, Al Guthrie's KISS HER GOODBYE and Stansberry's CONFESSION, and I was considering commenting on one or both of them here once I had finished them, since RARA AVIS is the place for discussing HB/Noir fiction. Now I'm not so sure.

After all, what if I don't like Stansberry's book and say so here? Can we have a discussion of its merits (they do sometimes get spirited around here), rather than having statements about how I'm entitled to my tastes, but MANY people liked it (after all, it won him an Edgar). If you take your statement above out to its natural conclusion, we ought to all be reading
(or re-reading) and discussing Harry Potter books and Dan Brown's DaVinci Code. Do "popular" and "good" always go hand in hand in the publishing business?

But wait, you say, this is a Noir/HB list and those are not Noir/HB titles. Alright then, pick your poison: the Midnight Louie Las Vegas cat-as-private-investigator titles are wildly popular right now. Should we all be discussing "Cat in a Midnight Choir"? It's got a detective, and it's a mystery. It's at least as dark as anything Parker's written for Spenser in the last decade or so, and his stuff gets discussed here.

What happens if a bunch of us read Stephen King's THE COLORADO KID when it comes out in HCC and write something critical of it here at RARA AVIS? Will we be told that we're entitled to our respective tastes, but MILLIONS of fans have written to crow about how much they LOVE his work? I just don't see the point. After all, King's so popular that his books sell themselves. And although his work has been pretty damned good for stretches of his career (I don't enjoy most horror, so I haven't read much past stuff like
'SALEM'S LOT, THE SHINING, and THE STAND), he's got such name recognition that books such as THE TOMMYKNOCKERS, and NEEDFUL THINGS, and a host of other lesser works from his coked-up phase during the late 80s and early 90s still fly off the shelves. So what? It doesn't make them good books.

This is not to say that King is not a good writer (Although he's not. He's a great one. His ON WRITING is a must reader for any book lover anywhere.). It's to say "so what if it's really popular? That ought to be germaine here on the Rara Avis list how, exactly?"

All the Best-

Brian Thornton