Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Two for the Money

From: Gratefulbear ( gratefulbear@comcast.net)
Date: 24 Jul 2005

I for one enjoyed "Two for the Money." I'd never read any of Max Allan Collins' novels before (unless you count the graphic novel "Road to Perdition"), but I enjoyed "Two for the Money" enough to make me want to read some of his other works. Has anyone here read his CSI novels?

As for reprinting other works in a series, I cast my vote for more "Cool and Lam" novels from Erle Stanley Gardner ("Top of the Heap") -- or even some of the very early Perry Mason novels from the 30's or 40's, when he was much more "hard boiled" than the lawyer Raymond Burr portrayed on TV.

I'm currently reading "Dutch Uncle," which is good, but not as good as "Branded Woman," which I really enjoyed. I liked the 50's feel of the novel, as well as the woman as main character: as I wrote in my blog, "If this story were made into a movie (as the authors' 'Touch of Evil' was), it should be in black and white, with someone like a young Barbara Stanwyck playing the lead." And I liked the surprise twist about who her enemy really was -- as well as the final twist at the end, which suggests that revenge is never really as satisfying as we think it will be.

pax/shalom/salaam, Darrell http://wildfaith.blogspot.com/