RARA-AVIS: RE:Today's Finds

From: Dick Lochte ( dlochte@adelphia.net)
Date: 18 Jul 2005

The Brownes are very good. IMO, he and Roy Huggins have come closest to replicating the Chandler style. The Taste of Ashes is his The Long Goodbye.

I'm not much of a Bellem fan. Sort of fun in small doses, but that's about it. I would definitely have substituted The Blind Pig. It's a Fang Mulheisen novel, second in an excellent hardboiled-but-funny series that, last time I looked, was still going strong. I think we've hit the point in American publishing where any series that lasts longer than twenty years without hitting the bestseller lists is worth reading.

DL

   Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2005 17:58:45 -0500
   From: "Jeff Vorzimmer" < jvorzimmer@austin.rr.com> Subject: Today's Finds

My local Half-Price had stacks of remaindered Dennis McMillan books, so I picked up copies of the ones I didn't have. They were:

Blue Murder - Robert Leslie Bellem 42 Days for Murder - Roger Torrey The Blind Pig - Jon Jackson The Taste of Ashes - Howard Browne Halo in Brass - Howard Browne

I had Halo in Brass, which I've read, and I passed on The Blind Pig. Any comments on these books?

Jeff