RARA-AVIS: Rara Avis. Reintroduction

From: scatalogic@aol.com
Date: 15 Jul 2005

Hello Avians
  May your falcons be Peregrine and your boils hard.
  I am reintroducing myself to the list after a long fallow period.
  My name is Colin, although I masquerade as the Reverend Spadge Dooley too. I once hosted a month on Rara Avis on UK harboiled and noir. I am by trade
(it's not a profession) a journalist and I live in Newent in the Forest of Dean in Gloucestershire in the United Kingdom. My favourite hb and noir writers are the mighty Jim Thompson, Derek Raymond (who long standing members may remember my tireless championing of - "The tragedy of help is it never arrives". James Ellroy, Raymond Chandler, Horace McCoy, Dashiell Hammett and Edward Bunker. Run and Box Nine are my relatively recent and I don't pay enough attention current faves. Best noir/hb films are, I think, Get Carter, Bogart Marlowe, Cagney shockers and John Millius' Dillinger. Heat is good fun, Scorsese is great, Shoot the Piano Player is superb, and so on and so on...
  Is there anything else I need to add? I dunno. I was born and grew up in a town close to Fred West's hunting grounds - his relatives were at school with me, Joe Meek the insane genius of pre-Beatles pop who features in Jake Arnott's hugely overrated works, and just a couple of miles from Dick Whittington's birthplace. I work for a small, local weekly newspaper. I am politically of the left and Welsh by extraction. I support Leeds United, Gloucester Rugby Football Club, Gloucestershire Cricket Club, and the Welsh rugby team.
  Outside hb/noir I love Hunter S, John Pilger, Noam Choamsky, Kurt Vonnegut, Haydn, The Beatles, Sherlock Holmes, and I write and record music as The Reverend Spadge Dooley and the Church of the Awesome Machine Accidental.
  Many regards to you all, I look forward to trying to speak with you in some way.
  Nos da,
  Colin.