RARA-AVIS: High and Low: A Kurosawa adaptation of an Ed McBain novel

From: bsandyman@att.net
Date: 11 Jul 2005

Over the weekend I watched the Criterion Collection's DVD of Akira Kurosawa's "High and Low". (Netflix rocks!)

This movie is an adaptation of an Ed McBain novel. Unfortunatly I have not read the novel and so cannot comment on how close the adaptation is. Akira has a reputation for being a stickler for detail. So I would guess that whatever changes he made were to make it fit in then contemporary Japan.

The first 1/2 of the movie is very Noir in the sense of 'screwed'. The second 1/2 is very much a story about cops.

On the whole, I liked it, and would recomend it to Akira, or McBain fans either one.

Does anyone know which novel this movie adapted? (I have purposefully not gone into the plot in case that would spoil it for some.)

Does anyone know if this is a faithful adaptation?

Thanks!

--
Clendon