Re: RARA-AVIS: another newbie (sort of)

From: Steven Harbin ( coachhollywood67@yahoo.com)
Date: 05 Jul 2005

Hi Doug, I'm a lurker mostly, who has posted occassionally over the years. I appreciate the heads up on Holly Lisle. I remember reading some (humorous?) fantasy of hers a few years back. It will be interesting to see how she does in the mystery field. Any idea if it's hard boiled or humorous or both? I keep remembering Sharyn McCrumb starting off with Bimboes of the Death Sun, a murder mystery set in a sci-fi convention. Steven Harbin

Douglas Hoffman < azureus@harborside.com> wrote: Hi everyone,

A couple years back, I was an occasional poster to the list. I'm an ENT doc living in Northern California. I write SF, but I read HB more often than SF because HB tends to be a lot more fun. (SF these days tends to be deadly earnest -- at least the stuff I'm buying is).

I recently won a copy of Holly Lisle's Last Girl Dancing. I don't know if it's hardboiled or not, but it is a murder mystery. Lisle's best known for her fantasy novels, so it'll be interesting to see how she fares with a genre crossover.

More recently, I've been rereading The Big Sleep, and I finished Lethem's Gun, with Occasional Music not long ago. Based on the archives, Lethem's book has been covered thoroughly here.

Good to be back.

Doug Hoffman http://dshoffman.blogspot.com