RARA-AVIS: Tinsley

From: Juri Nummelin ( juri.nummelin@pp.inet.fi)
Date: 04 Jul 2005

George:

> Under the heading of close, but no cigar -- I googled the
> following
> quote: "He dropped to one knee and fired again" and found the
> story
> "Hell House" by Theodore Tinsley

It could well be this - Goulart may have quoted the thing from his memory and got it wrong. It's just too close to be a different opening. Thanks!

> But isn't "I dropped to one knee and fired twice" kind of the
> "It was
> a dark and stormy night" of Black Mask fiction.

I don't think so, since there's no action in Bulwer-Lytton's opening. It sets the mood, which is missing from Tinsley's opening.

Juri

http://pulpetti.blogspot.com