Re: RARA-AVIS: Bowker and Huston

From: Duane Swierczynski ( Duane.Swier@verizon.net)
Date: 03 Jul 2005

Mark wrote:

> I saw books by Charlie Huston (with a blurb from Ken Bruen) and David
> Bowker in a bookstore today. Has anyone read either? Are they any
> good?

I loved Bowker's latest, HOW TO BE BAD. I'm not sure it's hardboiled so much as a wicked black comedy, taking the piss out of Nick Hornby and his crowd. It's compulsively readable, as are Bowker's two earlier books, THE DEATH YOU DESERVE and I LOVE MY SMITH & WESSON. I recommend them all heartily.

(In the interest of full disclosure: Bowker and I share an editor at St. Martin's--Marc Resnick. But I would have liked him anyway.)

Charlie Huston's CAUGHT STEALING is also terrific, despite the fact that does the James Joyce thing with his dialogue.

--What's do you mean?

--You know. Dialogue like this. No quotation marks.

--Oh.

--See? Not so bad, once you get used to it.

Cheers--

Duane Swierczynski secretdead.blogspot.com