Re: RARA-AVIS: D. Lynds: Work habits

From: Karin Montin ( kmontin@sympatico.ca)
Date: 29 May 2005

Thanks for the detailed answers, Dennis. You have been very forthcoming about all aspects of your writing.

To answer your question, I wasn't crazy about the multiple viewpoints in Cassandra in Red. I prefer a straightforward single point of view throughout a novel. However, the book was very well structured, with Dan Fortune's narrative interrupted by alternate chapters giving background on the various characters. I can see that this technique, which I understand was your innovation, served the very useful purpose of presenting information and developing characters to an extent that wouldn't have been possible (in the same space) had Fortune had to go dig it all up.

One of the things I found interesting about Cadillac Cowboy was the way the heavy turned out to be a rather sympathetic character, and the fairly colourless woman with whom Morgan was instantly infatuated wound up the opposite of the way she started.

My question about protagonists wasn't very clear. I really just meant, when you first come up with a certain storyline or theme, do you immediately think of it as best suited to a particular one of your established characters? On rereading your answer, I see you generally start with the need to write a book featuring a certain character and go from there. So I guess I wonder whether you sometimes have to save ideas for the next instalment in another series because they just don't seem to fit the series you're working on. Having only read one book in each of two series, I don't know how all your series are distinguished thematically.

Sorry for slipping in another question, and thanks again for taking the time to respond so fully to all the others.

Karin

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> In low income neighborhoods, 84% do not own computers. At Network for Good, help bridge the Digital Divide! http://us.click.yahoo.com/S.QlOD/3MnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM