Re: RARA-AVIS: Domenic Stansberry

From: Kerry J. Schooley ( gsp.schoo@murderoutthere.com)
Date: 24 May 2005

An excellent idea Jack. I'm just reading The Confession now (or at least I would be if I weren't writing another damned e-mail!) and found his Noir Manifesto a nice complement to the discussions on RA.

I'd tend to agree that our discussions have focused more on genre conventions and less on works that develop your defining "screwed" theme in the contemporary world. Then again, maybe that's just another example of my short attention span at work. Mind you, Noir Manifesto discusses crime fiction almost as much as noir specifically. I think he's spot on when he notes how big publishers and pop culture in general have expropriated noir conventions for their reassuring "thrillers." That's what we meant when we said noir is not just about the atmospherics.

(The Atmospherics? That's a new comedy collective in Boulder, isn't it?)

Best, Kerry

------------------------------------------------------ Literary events Calendar (South Ont.) http://www.lit-electric.com The evil men do lives after them http://www.murderoutthere.com

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Has someone you know been affected by illness or disease? Network for Good is THE place to support health awareness efforts! http://us.click.yahoo.com/rkgkPB/UOnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM