Re: RARA-AVIS: Domenic Stansberry

From: Jacques Debierue ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 24 May 2005

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Evankovich" <briane1911a1@h...> wrote:
> I found the essay most refreshing and maybe even a little inspiring, but I
> wish the so-called status quo Stansberry refers to were as real as he, and
> others expressing his point of view, would like to believe, because it
> certainly doesn't exist in my unstable life, and it's nice reading stories
> where everything gets fixed in the end. That being said (and at the risk of
> running a little off-topic), as one of those yet-to-be-discovered scribes,
> I'm afraid I'm more interested in making a living than standing current
> conventions on their head. Which proves Stansberry's point. :( As soon as I
> don't have to work anymore, we'll see..... but I think it's possible to
> upset the genre while also writing within it. I think Hammett and Chandler
> were able to do that just fine, have quasi-happy endings, and include in
> some of the fatalism - if you will - that Stansberry advocates. --Brian

Indeed, the conventions of the PI genre, for example, have proven loose enough to allow for great work, back then and now. It's not the conventions that can cheapen a genre, but the types of characters and situations. If the latter become clich鳬 or pander to certain groups (females or yuppies, for example), the literary value of the thing rapidly goes down. I will gladly accept a PI with the conventional bottle in the conventional drawer and the conventional blue jay cavorting outside the grimy window... provided the author gives me strong characters and situations and a gripping, realistic story.

Best,

MrT

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> What would our lives be like without music, dance, and theater? Donate or volunteer in the arts today at Network for Good! http://us.click.yahoo.com/pkgkPB/SOnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM