Re: RARA-AVIS: To Have and Have Not

From: Steve Lichtman ( redgrimes@sbcglobal.net)
Date: 21 May 2005

Here's Howard Hawks' account of how he came to make a movie out of To Have and Have Not, according to Todd McCarthy's biography of Hawks. It should be taken with a large grain of salt, since Hawks was a notorious fibber. Especially when it came to making himself look good at someone else's expense.
  Hawks and Hemingway were friends, and in late 1939 Hawks and his impossibly stylish young wife Slim went to visit Hemingway in Key West for some hunting, fishing and drinking. One night, Hawks later said, he told Hemingway, "I can make a movie out of the worst thing you ever wrote."

"What's the worst thing I ever wrote?"

"That piece of junk called 'To Have and Have Not."

"I needed the money."

"Well, I knew that. At least I had to guess it."

"You can't make a picture of of that."

"No, but the two leading characters were marvelous in their relationship with each other. What about if we told how they met?"

DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net wrote: miker wrote:

"I like it but it's not as polished as some of his other work. He was trying to get it out the door so he could go (back?) to the Spanish Civil War, but the publisher's lawyers wouldn't let it go because of legal concerns over Dos Passos suing. Libel or something. Rather than rewrite it, huge portions of the book were simply cut."

Has it ever been put back in? Is there an uncut, "author's cut" of the book?

Mark

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Has someone you know been affected by illness or disease? Network for Good is THE place to support health awareness efforts! http://us.click.yahoo.com/rkgkPB/UOnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM