RARA-AVIS: A Sound of Distant Drums

From: Bill Crider ( bcrider@houston.rr.com)
Date: 19 May 2005

Thanks, Charles, for the story of "A Sound of Distant Drums." Here's another, more personal in-joke related to Lawrence Block. Back in the late 1970s, in his column for WRITERS DIGEST, block mentioned that in one of his Evan Tanner books there was a mention of a tobacco shop in Thailand. But in the phrase was garbled somehow, and in the book the reference was to a
"tobbo shop." Block thought it would be amusing if someone took it seriously, and he wondered if, in later years, there might be references in other books to "the notorious tobbo shops of Thailand." Naturally I couldn't resist. I used the latter phrase in at least three books, maybe four. None under my own name, though.

Bill Crider

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> What would our lives be like without music, dance, and theater? Donate or volunteer in the arts today at Network for Good! http://us.click.yahoo.com/pkgkPB/SOnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM