Re: RARA-AVIS: Lynds Cover Blurb

From: Dennis Lynds ( dennislynds@cox.net)
Date: 15 May 2005

Mark wrote:

George Pelecanos has said much the same thing in interviews.

> "I got, and still get, grief from everyone. No one in the business wants
> to offend or confuse potential readers by having strong views, or any
> views at all. The only folks I have nearly always done well with are
> critics and reviewers."

I think the difference between my work and such writers as Pelecanos, Paretsky, Macdonald, etc. is that I tend to question the system itself rather than bad apples within the system. In other words I question the theory not just the practice. (Which probably accounts for why my readership is far lower than theirs.)

My books might be considered more noir, like the work of Goodis, McCoy, Himes, Algren, etc.

If I have any overriding philosophy in my books it's that the ultimate function of literature is to disenchant the reader from the spell of received wisdom.

Dennis

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> What would our lives be like without music, dance, and theater? Donate or volunteer in the arts today at Network for Good! http://us.click.yahoo.com/pkgkPB/SOnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM