Re: RARA-AVIS: Looking for hard-boiled westerns

From: James Reasoner ( james53@flash.net)
Date: 13 May 2005

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jacques Debierue" < matrxtech@yahoo.com> To: < rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Friday, May 13, 2005 3:22 PM Subject: Re: RARA-AVIS: Looking for hard-boiled westerns

> Several years ago, I read a wonderful collection of western novelettes by
Earl Stanley
> Gardner, originally published in the pulps. I don't recall the title, and
the book is packed
> away, but it should not be hard to find. Prime stuff if you have a sweet
tooth for pulp
> *and* westerns. Sometimes I think that Gardner (with Norbert Davis) was
the most
> imaginative of the famous Black Mask group. His stories seem to be all
different and all at
> least pretty good. Who can resist Ed Jenkins? Even at his crudest, Gardner
was on the ball.

> Best,
>
> MrT

Are you thinking about the collections WHISPERING SANDS and PAY DIRT? I read these years ago and thoroughly enjoyed them. I think all the stories in them feature Bob Zane, a prospector who keeps running into hardboiled crime situations.

All the Gardner pulp stories I've read have been good. A while back I read HONEST MONEY, a collection of novelettes featuring his Perry Mason prototype, Ken Corning. Great stuff.

James

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> What would our lives be like without music, dance, and theater? Donate or volunteer in the arts today at Network for Good! http://us.click.yahoo.com/pkgkPB/SOnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM