Re: RARA-AVIS: Westlake's hardboiled period

From: Chris M ( cptpipes@hotmail.com)
Date: 12 May 2005

>The book that comes immediately to mind for me is THE AX.

I never thought I would do this, but...

I think THE AX fits the platonic ideal of what a contemporary noir novel should be and I liked it enough to read it in single sitting. Still, it does not strike me as particularly hardboiled. It has so many similarities to the best books by Jason Starr, or even the current R-A rave du jour, The Confession, that it seems like a straight noir to me.

Books like these are, to my thinking, heirs to Killer Inside of Me and before that (I think) the first-person confession stories of Edgar Allen Poe
(which I haven't read since the 7th grade).

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> In low income neighborhoods, 84% do not own computers. At Network for Good, help bridge the Digital Divide! http://us.click.yahoo.com/S.QlOD/3MnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM