Re: RARA-AVIS: To Have and Have Not

From: Michael Robison ( miker_zspider@yahoo.com)
Date: 10 May 2005

BaxDeal@aol.com wrote:
  the film is one of my favorites. I even prefer it to Casablanca, of which it is a deliberate attempt to emulate. I have not read the book, which I understand is quite different. also have read that Hem considered it a lesser work of his.

************ I like it but it's not as polished as some of his other work. He was trying to get it out the door so he could go (back?) to the Spanish Civil War, but the publisher's lawyers wouldn't let it go because of legal concerns over Dos Passos suing. Libel or something. Rather than rewrite it, huge portions of the book were simply cut.

The descriptions of boating and fishing out in the Gulf are good, and the opening passage of a Cuban city
(Havana?) in the morning is beautiful.

I didn't like the movie. It's a replay of Casablanca, as the Bax mentions.

miker

__________________________________ Yahoo! Mail Mobile Take Yahoo! Mail with you! Check email on your mobile phone. http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> What would our lives be like without music, dance, and theater? Donate or volunteer in the arts today at Network for Good! http://us.click.yahoo.com/pkgkPB/SOnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM