Re: RARA-AVIS: Hemingway

From: Michael Robison ( miker_zspider@yahoo.com)
Date: 10 May 2005

hend1234@aol.com wrote:

No time right now, but I wonder if the Kilimanjaro wife was based more on real life Mary Welsh. I could be making this up or dedging it up.

************ I had to look it up to see when it was written (1938).
 Hemingway's first big safari was with Pauline Pfeiffer, his second wife. She was referred to in GREEN HILLS OF AFRICA as POM (Poor Ole Mama). I'm not sure who the hunter's wife was modelled after, but he had not met Mary yet. Although I'm foggy on exact years, 1938 would have been close to his journalism trip to Spain to cover the civil war. It is some time around then that he met Martha Gelhorn, his third wife.

Mary wrote an intelligent and sad biography of her years with Ernest. She was tough and she was sharp. I liked her.

miker

__________________________________ Yahoo! Mail Mobile Take Yahoo! Mail with you! Check email on your mobile phone. http://mobile.yahoo.com/learn/mail

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> In low income neighborhoods, 84% do not own computers. At Network for Good, help bridge the Digital Divide! http://us.click.yahoo.com/S.QlOD/3MnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM