Re: RARA-AVIS: Hemingway

From: Brian Thornton ( tieresias@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 09 May 2005

In a very interesting post, Kerry J. Schooley wrote:

> At 11:34 AM 07/05/2005 -0700, you wrote:

>>On the macho bit I suggest you re-read White Elephants. Is there any
>>possible doubt where his sympathy lies, the macho man or "the girl."
>>Hemingway writes to the human condition and his vision is dark. Thus in
>>a sense he can be considered a noir writer. Is there a darker tale than
>>Indian Camp?
>
> Okay (haven't read it,) but in other cases one might say that Hemingway
> finds the persistence of human ideals to be inspirational (Farewell to
> Arms, perhaps.) I note your "in a sense" qualifier, and take it to mean
> "not in the sense of genre definition," as we've thus far, I think,
> defined
> noir as those stories that consider dark themes within the specific
> context
> of crime. In that sense, Hemingway's only noir story would be The Killers.
> Does this indicate that it's time to reconsider this qualifier? (O no! Not
> the great definitions debate again.)

Kerry, for what it's worth, there is just no substitute for reading Hemingway's short stories. I personally like his short stories much moreso than his novels. As for your definition of a noir story, off the top of my head, I can recall at least one other (and any people who recall others please jump in here). There is a shooting at the beginning of "The Gambler, the Nun, and the Radio."

All the Best-

Brian Thornton

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Has someone you know been affected by illness or disease? Network for Good is THE place to support health awareness efforts! http://us.click.yahoo.com/rkgkPB/UOnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM