RARA-AVIS: Re: Eyeing the Flash

From: Max Gilbert ( jmaxgilbert@yahoo.com)
Date: 09 May 2005

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Vorzimmer"
<jvorzimmer@a...> wrote:
> Just finished the book Eyeing the Flash by Peter Fenton. It's non-
fiction, a
> biography in fact, of a guy who worked summers through high school
(1963-67)
> as a carnival huckster and con artist. ...

I just finished Daniel Mannix's MEMOIRS OF A SWORD SWALLOWER, another memoir of carny life and a great read. Some great hardboiled portraits of a world that I always enjoy reading about in fiction or non-fiction. I'll have to keep an eye out for the Fenton.

> I've also started Luc Sante's Library of Larceny series with The
Telephone
> Booth Indian, which would mostly be of interest to New Yorkers in
that it's
> a collection of essays on different fringe subcultures of old
Broadway.
> There is also an essay on world fair hucksters of the 30s and 40s.

I have the Willie Sutton autobiography they reissued, but haven't read it yet. Glad to see somebody reprinting these. Some good criminal biographies/autobiographies I've read include Robert Addleman's ALIAS BIG CHERRY & GONIF by Red Rudensky. Any other suggestions for good hardboiled autobiography?

Max

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Has someone you know been affected by illness or disease? Network for Good is THE place to support health awareness efforts! http://us.click.yahoo.com/rkgkPB/UOnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM