RARA-AVIS: Re: Another Heresy -- The Black Mask and other pulp fiction

From: George Tuttle ( noirfiction@whoever.com)
Date: 07 May 2005

You missed my point. I didn't say Hammett was imitating Daly or trying to be Daly, but I did feel he was reacting to Daly. When I read Red Harvest it was my gut reaction that Hammett was try to show the Black Mask audience how a Race Williams, fight-fire-with-fire style plot should be handled or how it would have been handled with the Continental Op at the helm.

And yes, it is very clear that Shaw didn't like Daly's work, which is probably a good thing. Shaw, to his credit, had sense enough to know if don't understand it that you will just mess it up.

Yes, Detective Fiction Weekly is a great pulp. Of course, I can't think of it without seeing the face of Satan Hall. My favorite detective pulp (back when I was reading pulps) was Speed Detective. I also loved Hollywood Detective, its sister zine. I was very partial to Robert Leslie Bellem and Roger Torrey, its two regulars. I was also a fan of Max Plaisted's artwork, particularly his stuff from the 1940's. Speed Detective was no Black Mask, but it was a lot more fun.

Thanks and take care.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> In low income neighborhoods, 84% do not own computers. At Network for Good, help bridge the Digital Divide! http://us.click.yahoo.com/S.QlOD/3MnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM