RE: RARA-AVIS: Re: Another Heresy -- The Black Mask and other pulp fiction

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 07 May 2005

Brian,

Re your comments below:

> Jim, You are correct, sir. "Better Corpses" was one
> of the last Race
> Williams novels - though not published in the U.S.
> I've read the serialized
> version in "The Adventures of Race Williams" but
> have yet to buy the whole
> novel (it's available at the VIntage Library as an
> e-book as are several of
> Daly's other books and that seems to be the only
> source for Daly's stuff).

Thanks for confirming my suspicions.

> As (apparently) the
> only Carroll John Daly
> fan on this list, I'm of the opinion that he could
> have been a contender if
> he really worked at it. The other four stories in
> the "Adventures"
> collection are pretty good, and "The Tag Murders",
> "Tainted Power", and "The
> Third Murderer" are pretty good as well (bad
> dialogue and clunky writing
> aside, but nothing worse than the recent "Star Wars"
> movies).

Don't get me wrong. I actually enjoy Daly. But to compare him to Hammett or to suggest that Hammett was influenced by him is simply not credible.

Moreover, pulp writers who were both more talented than Daly and better craftsmen are, nevertheless, not nearly as well-remembered as Daly, and this is almost exclusively due to Daly's having gotten into print first.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> In low income neighborhoods, 84% do not own computers. At Network for Good, help bridge the Digital Divide! http://us.click.yahoo.com/S.QlOD/3MnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM