Re: RARA-AVIS: Another Heresy -- The Black Mask and other pulp fiction

From: Brian Evankovich ( briane1911a1@hotmail.com)
Date: 06 May 2005

I have to chime in on the Red Harvest comments going around. First time I read that book, I didn't get it. I didn't understand the structure of the story or why the four seperate pieces all tied up before jumping into the next. Second time I read it, after learning more about how it was written, I loved it - and it's probably my favorite Hammett novel. I read snippets of it now and then, more so than the others. (Though I admit I like Hammett's Con Op short stories better than the novels, overall.)

And since my family is from Butte, I love that it's "set" there.... and from the stories my father tells from growing up in that town in the '50s and
'60s, it was pretty wild even then. My grandmother still lives there and insists it's much quieter nowadays. Nobdoy drives above 35, she says, because there's no need to go any faster than that. --Brian

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> What would our lives be like without music, dance, and theater? Donate or volunteer in the arts today at Network for Good! http://us.click.yahoo.com/pkgkPB/SOnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM