RE: RARA-AVIS: banned books

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 05 May 2005

Bruce wrote:

"I found "The Confession" a frightening and fascinating insight into the mind of a sociopathic serial killer that has the reader fooled right to the last page. That's the stuff of great literature, up there with "The Postman Always Rings Twice," and other greats."

While I enjoyed The Confession, I wouldn't put it anywhere near that height, or as high as Hughes's In A Lonely Place, which I've already mentioned it reminded me of. It was a good read, but the suspense for me was the outcome of the legal manuveuring. I didn't think of it as even having a surprise twist at the end.

"Notice to authors: be sure to avoid ambiguous, noirish endings because your book will then be banned by the simple-minded."

This reminds me of the controversy over Mickey and Mallory getting away at the end of Natural Born Killers (hope that isn't a surprise to anyone). Many, including John Grisham in the Oxford American (Unnatural Killers, where he advocated suing the filmmakers under product liability laws to sidestep First Amendment protections, a strategy that has since been used, so far unsuccessfully, against several movies, books, CDs and video games), saw their getting away as advocating, even glorifying their violence. Amazing. I thought Stone was so overbearing and manipulative that no one could possibly miss it was satire. I guess for many, depiction will always equal endorsement.

(Oh, for the record, I liked Confessions much, much more than NBK.)

Mark

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> In low income neighborhoods, 84% do not own computers. At Network for Good, help bridge the Digital Divide! http://us.click.yahoo.com/S.QlOD/3MnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM