Re: RARA-AVIS: The objection to Stansberry's "The Confession"

From: Doug Bassett ( dj_bassett@yahoo.com)
Date: 05 May 2005

SPOILERISH, maybe:

This is not on point, but I personally am quite puzzled to see so much love shown for this book, which I truly think is the weakest of the non-reprint Hard Cases: painfully obvious and belabored, unsuspenseful, and not especially insightful. In my opinion, of course. (Did Stansberry really do anything for the sociopath that Patricia Highsmith didn't do better, earlier?)

Personally I much preferred Max Phillips's FADE TO BLONDE, which tackles an equally old chestnut (did you hear the one about the broody drifter who meets the blonde with the mysterious past?) but manages to present it anew with a just a slightly different pov. I'm currently reading Guthrie's KISS HER GOODBYE, which I also like quite a bit.

This has nothing to do with the brouhaha, which I agree is ridiculous and unseemly.

doug

Doug Bassett dj_bassett@yahoo.com

                 Yahoo! Mail Stay connected, organized, and protected. Take the tour: http://tour.mail.yahoo.com/mailtour.html

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> In low income neighborhoods, 84% do not own computers. At Network for Good, help bridge the Digital Divide! http://us.click.yahoo.com/S.QlOD/3MnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM