RARA-AVIS: Hemingway

From: Michael Robison ( miker_zspider@yahoo.com)
Date: 05 May 2005

Etienne wrote:

I think that the Hemingway heritage is more strictly focused on minimalization of style and
"distanciation", influencing a lot of writers who more or less are using a behaviorist writing in their novels. On the other hand, his often exaggerated stand proclaiming and supporting a "life of action(s)" - and that kind of views he often developed in his novels- is now obsolete, I think.
  Conrad's views and feelings on the human condition, to the contrary, are universal.

************* The essence of Hemingway escapes you. The dominant theme that runs through all of Hemingway's work is grace under pressure, a theme that is every bit as relevant and universal as anything Conrad did.

You did allude to something I agree with. Conrad wrote about the human condition. Hemingway wrote about humans.

miker

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> In low income neighborhoods, 84% do not own computers. At Network for Good, help bridge the Digital Divide! http://us.click.yahoo.com/S.QlOD/3MnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM