Re: RARA-AVIS: Mr. Lynds, Mr. Lynds...

From: Dennis Lynds ( dennislynds@cox.net)
Date: 04 May 2005

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the welcome, I figured you'd be with this gang with your Number One noir website.

The Roaring Twenties WAS a challenge when I first heard about it from Michael Kurland. But I had already had a far bigger challenge from Kurland himself---to do a Sherlock Holmes in the Lost Years, 1891 to 1894!! Danny and Holmes, modern PI and 19th Century consulting detective, together long before Danny was born. How do I do that, and at the same time write an authentic Dan Fortune story? The key lay in the way Dan narrates his later novels and stories, and in character sketches that had already appeared in various Dan Fortune novels. After that, the Roaring Twenties story was easy.

That's all I'm going to tell you. Go read the stories!

As for Dan's take on the current world situation, I'll have to think about it. Give me some idea of what you mean by "tweak," and by suggesting rirst person I assume you mean in Dan's voice?

Being a Canadian doesn't entirely let you off the hook, any more than being a Brit does. While Canada has mumbled against the course the US and Tony Blair have taken, and so have Britons, neither has stood up and genuinely disowned the 300 million pound gorilla south of your border. The only way to defeat a bully is to stand up to him, say it like it is, and declare that THIS emperor, too, has no clothes.

In the matter of where Danny may be, let's say he hasn't exactly "moved," but if he's the man I think he is he's doing what he should be doing, but what that is will have to wait for him to tell it in due time. Probably not in the first new book. I hope I live long enough to write it, or it may have to be my last short story.

Best,

Dennis-Michael et. al.

-- Original Message ----- From: "Kevin Burton Smith" < kvnsmith@thrillingdetective.com> To: < rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Wednesday, May 04, 2005 7:40 AM Subject: RARA-AVIS: Mr. Lynds, Mr. Lynds...

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> In low income neighborhoods, 84% do not own computers. At Network for Good, help bridge the Digital Divide! http://us.click.yahoo.com/S.QlOD/3MnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM