Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Welcome to Mr. Lynds

From: Dennis Lynds ( dennislynds@cox.net)
Date: 02 May 2005

  Dear Jacques,

  You like to like to live dangerously don't you?

  Dan Fortune, if he were still living in the U.S., thinks the present
"situation" is the most anti-democratic, anti-working man, anti-thinking man, anti-individual, anti-freedom, right-wing, empire-building era since the time of the robber barons, child labor, the sixteen hour work day, and the railroads in the late 1800s. And our era doesn't even have the colorful freebooters of those days, but armies of faceless censors, accountants, and corporate executives.

  On the other hand, Dan points out that it may also be the first time in American history that the military option takes center stage in our national affairs.

  He thinks we are a nation afraid: hence the military, the fundamentalists, and John Ashcroft.

  He thinks his entire life has been watching the Mark Hannas, the Andrew Mellons, slowly tear down all the hated social and human gains brought about by the Great Depression and Franklin Roosevelt. Until today it is as if that high point in American history never happened.

  You asked for it, so there it is. I hope Dan hasn't offended half the list.

  And if you want to know where Dan Fortune is now, you'll have to wait while I write that book.

  Dennis-Michael, etc.