Re: RARA-AVIS: commercial and noir

From: Duane Spurlock ( duane1spur@yahoo.com)
Date: 29 Apr 2005

vhend1234@aol.com wrote:

<< I countered with the idea that a character-driven novel could also be a page turner and that's what I strive for, but I could tell it wasn't even a point worth continuing because he was so sure that it would not work. He was not the least bit egotistic or condescending--saying how literary was a higher level, etc--but evidently it's clear cut to him that people don't want to waste time on character development.

  This is an interesting distinction. If one runs "solely plot-driven" to its ultimate definition, the plot is all that runs the book story -- any cardboard cutout character named John Smith or Jane Smith could be the protagonist, and it wouldn't matter if he or she was a thief or a beauty salon operator, because the action would override anything related to character.
  But good plot depends on the character's quirks and decisions and experience to carry it forward. I don't see how a writer can completely isolate plot from character. Even in a formulaic sub-genre like medical thrillers.

- Duane

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Has someone you know been affected by illness or disease? Network for Good is THE place to support health awareness efforts! http://us.click.yahoo.com/rkgkPB/UOnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM