RARA-AVIS: female noir

From: Jay Gertzman ( jgertzma@earthlink.net)
Date: 28 Apr 2005

I bet Liza Cody's novels about Eva Wylie ("Bucket Nut") the female wrestler have been mentioned already, but Ms Hendrick's post on female noir reminds me a lot of them: reversing the differences between male and female, women who do not care that women are supposed to act differently than men, women with the same blinding obsessions as men have, women who want to "take it to the top" in professions reserved for men. Cody puts in _Bucket Nut_ a conventionally beautiful young woman, which allows her to explore the contrasts between two kinds of goddesses with irony. And there is an innocence (niavete?) that goes with Eva's obsessions and her professed lack of concern with "decent" living which Cody handles with humor and balance. I see quite a bit of that kind of writing in _Iguana Love_. BTW, we read _Bucket Nut_ in my discussion group recently and the 4 (middle aged) females in the group grooved on
(maybe because they _were_ shocked by) "women behaving like men." Maybe it depends on what male tasks the females are undertaking.

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> What would our lives be like without music, dance, and theater? Donate or volunteer in the arts today at Network for Good! http://us.click.yahoo.com/pkgkPB/SOnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM