RARA-AVIS: L.A. Times Festival of Books

From: Terrill Lankford ( lankford2000@earthlink.net)
Date: 23 Apr 2005

First off, I'm glad to hear Vicki will be sticking around. It's been a very lively month on rara-avis with her around.

Out of towners may not be aware of the fact that the L.A. Times throws a giant shindig once a year called the L.A. Times' Festival of Books, which takes place on the UCLA campus. (Takes OVER is more like it.) Last night they gave out their book prizes in a very slick ceremony that was produced better than the Oscars were this year. I'm glad to announce that Kem Nunn won in the mystery/thriller category for Tijuana Straits. I've been a big fan of his from the very start and Straits is one of the best books I've read in a long time.

Tony Hillerman won the Lifetime Achievment award. Which is very cool considering the lofty ambitions of the L.A. Times Book Review. They give very little play to "genre fiction", despite the fact that it dominates the Best Seller list here. It's good to see one of our own pick up this prize.

Hillerman's quite a character. A WWII vet with a Purple Heart, a Silver Star and a ton of other medals, he's still kicking ass into his mid-eighties. The tribute film they put together last night was terrific, as was his acceptance speech. He's signing books on Sunday at 11:30am if any of the locals want to meet and greet with him. The line will be loooong.

At 10:00am Sunday morning I will be on a panel called HOLLYWOOD CONFIDENTIAL moderated by Rachel Resnick. The panelists include Jerry Stahl, David Freeeman and Seth Gleenland (who is getting great reviews for his new novel, THE BONES). If anyone wants to attend this event, please e-mail me offlist and I'll get you a ticket.

TL

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Has someone you know been affected by illness or disease? Network for Good is THE place to support health awareness efforts! http://us.click.yahoo.com/rkgkPB/UOnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM