Re: RARA-AVIS: New Lawrence Block

From: E.Borgers ( webeurop@yahoo.fr)
Date: 23 Apr 2005

Brian, I agree with you on this one; I'll even go further, and have to say that "Eight Million Ways to Die" did not convince me totally either. It's too superficial to be a very good lit. novel on alcoholics and their world and it's too off target, and not very original, to be a very good H-B/noir novel. Even the end of this novel is not very good: so simplistic that it looks like a Hollywood general public thing of the 50's. It's of course very professionally written, and the Scudder series remains what Block did best (up to 8 million, included).

I'll even worsened my case: I always felt that Block is an overrated writer. This does not means he's not good at all, he just isn't *very* good. And not on par with the reputation of excellence built on him these last years.

E.Borgers Hard-Boiled Mysteries http://www.geocities.com/Athens/6384

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> In low income neighborhoods, 84% do not own computers. At Network for Good, help bridge the Digital Divide! http://us.click.yahoo.com/S.QlOD/3MnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM