Re: RARA-AVIS: Harry Crews

From: vhend1234@aol.com
Date: 21 Apr 2005

Hi, John, Good to hear from you. I agree very much with your assessment of Crews. I visited him several times in Gainesville with a mutual friend, and he became less sociable, to put it mildly, year after year. I think the man lives for writing above all other things and couldn't really concentrate on being human or see a reason for it. I hate to say it, but his writing went down hill after he stopped drinking. However, I think it was because he stopped too late, not that he needed the alcohol to write. His lifestyle seemed to have really caught up with him and he knew it. I do think Scar Lover is still in "his realm" and he made somewhat of a comeback with Celebration, but I am probably too obsessed to be reliable. Vicki

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> What would our lives be like without music, dance, and theater? Donate or volunteer in the arts today at Network for Good! http://us.click.yahoo.com/pkgkPB/SOnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM