RARA-AVIS: Harry Crews (was Re: Crider v. Lansdale)

From: Duane Spurlock ( duane1spur@yahoo.com)
Date: 19 Apr 2005

vhend1234@aol.com wrote:

<< I see lots of similarities between Crews and Lansdale in the eccentric Southern atmosphere and unique characterization, although Harry Crews has never been included in the area of crime as far as I know.

  Harry Crews writes some absolutely wonderful books. Eccentrics, some New South gothic strands twisted with Old South rednecks and ... well, maybe "eccentrics" is enough.
  There's a hard-boiled sensibility in his writing. Rarely moves into strictly a crime fiction arena, but his settings usually move among the areas frequented by fringe-type huckster and con artist characters -- one of Willeford's cock fighters wouldn't be an intruder in some of these books.
  FEAST OF SNAKES, CAR, THE GYPSY'S CURSE -- all these are excellent and highly recommended.

- Duane Spurlock proprietor The Pulp Rack www.pulprack.com

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Has someone you know been affected by illness or disease? Network for Good is THE place to support health awareness efforts! http://us.click.yahoo.com/rkgkPB/UOnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM