Re: RARA-AVIS: Joe R. Lansdale

From: Bill Crider ( bcrider@houston.rr.com)
Date: 18 Apr 2005

I've known Joe Lansdale for more than 25 years, and I can vouch for the fact that his stories are all strictly realistic. East Texas is really the way he describes it. What makes it hard for writers like me is that I have to make up the stuff I write about. Joe just transcribes what he sees.

Kidding aside, I heard Joe relate the events that he later incorporated in
"Mr. Weedeater" as casual incidents from his own life years before he wrote them down as part of the story. Kinda makes you wonder about "My Dead Dog Bobby," right?

And it's true that Joe's an expert martial artist and could kill me with two fingers of either hand. I've seen a couple of demonstrations of his skills, and believe me, you don't want to want him to practice on you.

Bill Crider

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> What would our lives be like without music, dance, and theater? Donate or volunteer in the arts today at Network for Good! http://us.click.yahoo.com/pkgkPB/SOnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM