RARA-AVIS: Etienne Borgers' recommendations

From: William Denton ( buff@pobox.com)
Date: 17 Apr 2005

[M. Borgers is having an annoying problem with his subscription, so I'll forward this along on his behalf. -- The List-Owner]

vhend1234@aol.com wrote:

> Thanks for more new titles! I'll have to get another bookcase!
> Vicki

This time it's favorites and novels of prime value, IMHO, and trying to avoid repeats compared to previous messages from Avians:

KENTUCKY STRAIGHT - Cris Offut (but I suppose you already know) MANIFESTO FOR THE DEAD- Domenic Stansberry TRINITY - Nick Toshes HEAT WAVE - Timothy Harris (he's the good Harris) ALWAYS OUTNUMBERED, ALWAYS OUTGUNNED - Walter Mosley COSMIC BANDITOS - A.C.Weisbecker (H-B quantum physics) SWEET CHEAT (1960) - Peter Duncan BLOOD AND THUNDER - Max Allan Collins NEON MIRAGE - Max Allan Collins A RAGE IN HARLEM - Chester Himes (and the rest of his Harlem cops series) THE KINGDOM OF JOHNNY COOL - John McPartland I'LL SEE YOU IN HELL - John McPartland THE BUTTERFLY - James M. Cain FLIGHT OF AN ANGEL - Verne Chute (a now forgotten classic) HELL CAN'T WAIT - Harry Whittington THE END OF THE NIGHT - John D. MacDonald

British: THE TRAIN RIDE (1966) - Peter Loughran (an absolute must)

Translations: THE SCAPEGOAT - Daniel Pennac THE FAIRY GUNMOTHER - Daniel Pennac
*Manuel Vasquez Montalban: his series with Pepe Cavalho, try A LIVELY FORM OF DEATH. Unfortunately, all of his bests in the series were not translated in English (unless you read Spanish)
*Rolo Diez: the short series with his Mexican cop Carlos Hernandes 1999/2000- unusual approach of cop attitudes and life. (sorry could not find the English titles) Or in another sort of noir, his picaresque-soap LUNA DE ESCARLATA- 1994
(Scarlet Moon)
*L鯠Malet - anything still available in English, series with his PI Nestor Burma

Could we ask that you, Vicky, to indicate some writers and books you did'nt see in Avians' lists and that you consider as very good value or favorite of yours?

E.Borgers HARD-BOILED MYSTERIES http://www.geocities.com/Athens/6384

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> What would our lives be like without music, dance, and theater? Donate or volunteer in the arts today at Network for Good! http://us.click.yahoo.com/pkgkPB/SOnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM