Re: RARA-AVIS: A Sjowall/Wahloo Martin Beck question

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 16 Apr 2005

Brad wrote:

"I have the UK Sphere paperback editions from the early 70s. On the front cover of THE MAN ON THE BALCONY, the words "No. 2 in the brilliant Martin Beck series" appear under the title. Yet the copyright page contains a 1969 copyright date, whereas the Sphere edition of THE MAN WHO WENT UP IN SMOKE lists a 1966 copyright date."

I learned to mistrust numbers on covers with Berkley Medallion's "The Violent World of Parker" series. Slayground had a big #1 on it. The real first, here titled Point Blank, had #2. It was Slayground's first printing in paper (hence the bigger promotion, I suppose), but Point Blank's third or fourth. The other three or four in that reprinting were numbered equally haphazardly.

Mark

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> What would our lives be like without music, dance, and theater? Donate or volunteer in the arts today at Network for Good! http://us.click.yahoo.com/pkgkPB/SOnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM