Re: RARA-AVIS: Women noir writers

From: vhend1234@aol.com
Date: 11 Apr 2005

Hi, Karin, Sorry about the confusion--thanks for letting me know about the use of the word. There were entertaining moments when cultural differences, etc, were not interpreted clearly. Once on the panel, an expression I used in MP had a sexual interpretation in French apparently, and the moderator accidentally started to read it, thinking it was the sexual quote she was looking for. No one could never quite explain to me what everyone was laughing at, but it must have been extremely funny. Then, at another time, we English speakers were all left standing on the corner not realizing we were supposed to follow a parade to a bar for part of the night's events. Our interpreter had not mentioned it, or if he did, we missed it, and a guy on a bicycle told me to follow, but I didn't take him seriously because I thought he was a crazy street person. Others heard him tell me also, but they thought he was trying to pick me up, so we all ignored him and sat at a table until about a half hour later when we realized we'd been left and called the organizer on the cell phone. I think it was the combination of unfamiliar attire, semi-English, and unusual event that threw me off. Not exactly what you're interested in, I guess, but related. Vicki

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> In low income neighborhoods, 84% do not own computers. At Network for Good, help bridge the Digital Divide! http://us.click.yahoo.com/S.QlOD/3MnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM