Re: RARA-AVIS: Women noir writers

From: Karin Montin ( kmontin@sympatico.ca)
Date: 10 Apr 2005

Vicki,

I thought you meant there were panels where authors and the translators of their books discussed the translation process, problems, cultural differences, different audience knowledge or expectations -- things like that. That's the kind of thing I find fascinating.

I see you were talking about the interpreter, a different but related kind of job with its own difficulties, especially for someone with no training or experience. Well, he's got some experience now. Next time maybe he'll have it easier. As you say, in this situation it would help if the speakers paused to allow for the interpreter, although simultaneous interpreters who work in a booth have to listen and speak at the same time. One of my professors said she knew she had potential as an interpreter when she realized she enjoyed eavesdropping in café³ while conversing with her friends, and could keep track of everything.

Karin

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> In low income neighborhoods, 84% do not own computers. At Network for Good, help bridge the Digital Divide! http://us.click.yahoo.com/S.QlOD/3MnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM