Re: RARA-AVIS: Iguana Love

From: vhend1234@aol.com
Date: 08 Apr 2005

In a message dated 4/6/05 9:26:35 PM Eastern Daylight Time, kmontin@sympatico.ca writes:

> Did you consciously create Enzo in Iguana Love as an "homme fatal," a
> dangerously attractive predator luring Ramona into his deadly scheme?

> I may be in the minority here, but I don't really see Iguana Love as noir.
> (Jim Doherty of this list has proposed two pithy definitions: noir is dark and
> sinister, hardboiled tough and colloquial.) The atmosphere is not dark and
> sinister -- it is all Florida sunshine and beautiful underwater seascapes,
> although the sense of foreboding does build nicely and the ending is bleak, for
> sure. Plus, Enzo is just plain bad news.

> However, Ramona is not screwed to start with, she is merely selfish and
> bored. She is the author of her own destruction. She narrates the story in close
> to spoken language, but she is educated and her speech is not particularly
> colloquial. I have to admit, though, that emotionally she's pretty tough.

> I see Iguana Love and Miami Purity, the two books of yours that I've read,
> as erotica with a crime element.

> By the way, why do you think women are not as keen on your books as men?

> Karin Montin

Sorry, Karin, I answered part of your question and saved the rest for more
> .
I did consciously make Enzo the fatal man for Ramona, but I didn't have a plan to begin with. My story always evolves as I go along through the character's choices. As in Sky Blues with Tom, Enzo is tied to the main character's desire for challenge and excitement, and that's really what I see as her problem. She's not looking for trouble, but needs the stimulation that she finds in scuba and the epitome of a scuba diver, Enzo. I'm only figuring this stuff out now, so your guess is really as good as mine! I probably need a psychiatrist. Vicki

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Has someone you know been affected by illness or disease? Network for Good is THE place to support health awareness efforts! http://us.click.yahoo.com/rkgkPB/UOnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM