Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Welcome to Vicki Hendricks, guest of honour

From: vhend1234@aol.com
Date: 08 Apr 2005

In a message dated 4/8/05 8:03:25 AM Eastern Daylight Time, bradstevens22@hotmail.com writes:

> > noir hero inhabits an everyday world that suddenly spins out of
> > control. That's the distinction I was trying to make.
> >

> That's fine as a starting point, but it must be remembered that
> individual noirs can inflect this schema in a thousand different
> ways. In Edgar Ulmer's film DETOUR, for example, the protagonist is
> constantly moaning about his bad luck, about how an impersonal fate
> has reached out and put the finger on him for no good reason at all.
> He sees himself as an everyday guy whose world has suddenly spun out
> of control. Yet the film makes it absolutely clear that this man is a
> hypocrite who invokes the concept of 'fate' as a means of denying
> what is blatantly obvious to anyone who looks closely at the film -
> that he personally responsible for everything which happens to him.
>
> Elmore Leonard's novel CAT CHASER works is a somewhat similar way.
> The protagonist sees himself as an ordinary guy who has somehow
> become involved with a noir world of violent thugs and ex-torturers.
> Yet the truth is that he is able to emerge victorious (with two
> suitcases full of money) only because he is ultimately capable of
> surpassing his enemies in calculated self-interest.

These are what I would call "literary" films. Exactly my taste. Vicki

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> What would our lives be like without music, dance, and theater? Donate or volunteer in the arts today at Network for Good! http://us.click.yahoo.com/pkgkPB/SOnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM