Re: RARA-AVIS: noir writers

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 07 Apr 2005

Like Jack, I'm more into hardboiled than noir, but I've been reading more and more of the latter of late. Some good ones that haven't been mentioned:

Denis Johnson: Angels is very noir, Jesus' Son has its moments -- all of the books I've read of his have been excellent, but not all are noir.

Barry Gifford: Wild at Heart, so much better than the movie

Terrill Lankford: Shooters

Fred Willard's Down on the Ponce (probably more hardboiled than noir)

D. Daniel Judson's two books

Eddie Bunker's Straight Time (AKA No Beast So Fierce)

Chester Himes's Run Man Run

Jerry Raine's Smalltime

Denise Mina's Garnethill

Russell James

Ted Lewis's GBH has been mentioned, for which I wanted to add a big second, along with his Get Carter (AKA Jack's Return Home)

Willeford, Goodis and Thompson have been mentioned several times, but not Burnt Orange Heresy, The Street of No Return and Pop, 1280, my respective favorites of theirs.

Jean-Patrick Manchette has also been mentioned, but I can't praise him enough. Man, I wish more than two of his books had been translated into English.

Mark

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> What would our lives be like without music, dance, and theater? Donate or volunteer in the arts today at Network for Good! http://us.click.yahoo.com/pkgkPB/SOnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM