RARA-AVIS: Florida International?

From: Frederick Zackel ( fzackel@wcnet.org)
Date: 07 Apr 2005

Hi Vicki

I am glad you're visiting rara-avis and I hope you enjoy it enough to continue with us. I enjoyed Miami Purity a lot. (Yesterday I signed paperwork for an undergraduate's Independent Studies this summer, and I have Miami Purity, The Stranger & The Post Always Rings Twice on his reading list; god willing he'll notice the similarities.)

But let me put you on the spot. You attended Florida International's MFA writers program. What did FIU offer that other creative writing programs can't / don't / won't offer? What (if anything) makes their workshops conducive to crime writing? What types of help did Les Standiford and / or James Hall? What made your writing time at Florida International special for you? What did you as a writer get there that you might not have gotten elsewhere? When you attended Florida International, were you there at the same times as Dennis Lehane?

Congratulations on all your successes. May you have many more.

Frederick Zackel

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> In low income neighborhoods, 84% do not own computers. At Network for Good, help bridge the Digital Divide! http://us.click.yahoo.com/S.QlOD/3MnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM