Re: RARA-AVIS: Favorite noir novels

From: Stewart Wilson ( stewart@stewartwilson.com)
Date: 07 Apr 2005

vhend1234@aol.com wrote:
> Oh, well. Thanks for clearing that up. So far I'm exclusive on the list then.

Maybe we can changed that.

My true favourites have already been well covered by others, but I'll add these recommendations:

Scott Phillips: THE ICE HARVEST Pelecanos: DOWN BY THE RIVER WHERE THE DEAD MEAN GO DeMarinis: A CLOD OF WAYWARD MARL Gores: INTERFACE (just hardboiled, really) Louise Welsh (yes, a woman!): THE CUTTING ROOM

Also, someone mentioned GRIMHAVEN by Willeford. You might have trouble finding that, as it was never published, and I've heard the copyright holder doesn't want that to change.

I'm about 2/3 of the way through MIAMI PURITY. So far, very good! My wife, not impressed by the cover, picked it up, opened it at random, read for 30 seconds and said "It's got violence. Nasty. Against women.", then she gave it back. She doesn't like any of the books I read anyway.

Cheers,
--Stewart

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> What would our lives be like without music, dance, and theater? Donate or volunteer in the arts today at Network for Good! http://us.click.yahoo.com/pkgkPB/SOnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM