Re: RARA-AVIS: Iguana Love

From: Karin Montin ( kmontin@sympatico.ca)
Date: 06 Apr 2005

Vicki,

Did you consciously create Enzo in Iguana Love as an "homme fatal," a dangerously attractive predator luring Ramona into his deadly scheme?
  I may be in the minority here, but I don't really see Iguana Love as noir. (Jim Doherty of this list has proposed two pithy definitions: noir is dark and sinister, hardboiled tough and colloquial.) The atmosphere is not dark and sinister -- it is all Florida sunshine and beautiful underwater seascapes, although the sense of foreboding does build nicely and the ending is bleak, for sure. Plus, Enzo is just plain bad news.

However, Ramona is not screwed to start with, she is merely selfish and bored. She is the author of her own destruction. She narrates the story in close to spoken language, but she is educated and her speech is not particularly colloquial. I have to admit, though, that emotionally she's pretty tough.

I see Iguana Love and Miami Purity, the two books of yours that I've read, as erotica with a crime element.

By the way, why do you think women are not as keen on your books as men?

Karin Montin

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> In low income neighborhoods, 84% do not own computers. At Network for Good, help bridge the Digital Divide! http://us.click.yahoo.com/S.QlOD/3MnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM