Monte Hellman and Cockfigher (was RARA-AVIS: Re: Welcome to ...)

From: thebradstevens ( bradstevens22@hotmail.com)
Date: 06 Apr 2005

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, William Denton <buff@p...> wrote:
> On 6 April 2005, thebradstevens wrote:
>
> : It was a book about the films of Monte Hellman (MONTE HELLMAN: HIS
> : LIFE AND FILMS).
>
> What did you say about COCKFIGHTER, the adaptation of the Charles
> Willeford novel? I very much like the movie (and the novel, of
course)
> and would be interested to hear.
>
> /

There's an entire chapter of the book dedicated to the film. Willeford is credited with the screenplay, but Monte actually rewrote a lot of it himself (in collaboration with Earl Mac Rauch, who later wrote NEW YORK NEW YORK for Scorsese). Willeford also appears in the film as a cockfighting judge. He later wrote COCKFIGHTER JOURNAL, a limited edition (only 300 copies!) book about the making of the film which is, unfortunately, riddled with errors (his account of Laurie Bird's death is is totally wrong).

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> What would our lives be like without music, dance, and theater? Donate or volunteer in the arts today at Network for Good! http://us.click.yahoo.com/pkgkPB/SOnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM