Re: RARA-AVIS: Iguana Love

From: vhend1234@aol.com
Date: 06 Apr 2005

Hi, Bill, I haven't thought about Ig Lov for a long time, so your mention of a couple scenes brought me back to it with such a new feeling that I hardly recognize it as my own. I guess I had already been kind of a gym rat for several years before I started that book, as well as a dive master, so of that training was great fodder for scenes, only requiring a touch of imagination to get gritty. I also had a pet iguana at the time, and the fact that iguanas are so aloof, and as the pet book said, "An iguana will never return your love" gave me the idea for Ramona's character. I think she awakens or matures when the obsession with scuba diving and Enzo occur, and becomes a truly cold-blooded, challenge driven person, who can't live in a "normal" marriage. She evolves into the hardest woman she can imagine because it's a goal, a challenge, but it's really an empty life. I see both Ramona and Enzo as iguanas, too alike to connect in any way but physical. It's a creepy book, I'm thinking. And Serpent's Tale strongly suggested that I cut the two most sexual scenes in the book, at the beginning and end, where Ramona sits on a detective's face, smothering and taunting him. The detective got cut, which I don't miss, but I do miss those scenes, and another murder from the end. Maybe someday the uncut version will be published someday. Doubtful! Vicki

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> What would our lives be like without music, dance, and theater? Donate or volunteer in the arts today at Network for Good! http://us.click.yahoo.com/pkgkPB/SOnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM