Re: RARA-AVIS: Continental Op

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 03 Apr 2005

Larry,

Re your question below:

> Also, I've read that the Big Knockover is also known
> as Blood Money. Are
> they one and the same? I've also seen that there is
> a 1994 edition of the
> Big Knockover. True?

The Continental Op novels were originally serialized in BLACK MASK, with each installment written so that it could simultaneously work as a chapter in the longer ongoing work and as an autonomous short story.

The first time Hammett tried this method was with a short two-part novel. The two installments were entitled "The Big Knockover" and "$106,000 Blood Money." In the Liliian Hellman-edited Hammett collection from 1966, these two stories took up the anchor position, and the title of the collection was THE BIG KNOCKOVER AND OTHER STORIES.

In the '40's this short novel was published as a separate book. There were several different editions.
 There was an edition entitled THE BIG KNOCKOVER and another entitled $106,000 BLOOD MONEY, but the hardcover edition from World and the Dell reprint of that edition, the ones most commonly found, were entitled simply BLOOD MONEY.

Hope that helps.

JIM DOHERTY

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Has someone you know been affected by illness or disease? Network for Good is THE place to support health awareness efforts! http://us.click.yahoo.com/rkgkPB/UOnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM