RARA-AVIS: Re: Noir Without End (Amen?)

From: Kevin Burton Smith ( kvnsmith@thrillingdetective.com)
Date: 03 Apr 2005

On Apr 3, 2005, at 3:58 AM, Mark wrote:

> However, the (hard-boiled) protagonist can occasionally be part of the
> noir world.
> Kevin, haven't you cited Angel as a great hardboiled show? Isn't it
> also noir? Isn't Angel screwed? And wouldn't the same apply to
> Millennium?

Never saw ANGEL, so it wasn't me. Saw MILLENNIUM, but gave up on it after a while, because I lost track of where it was going (as did the writers). Certainly it was very noirish, especially in mood and tone in its first season, but they X-File'd it up too much, and I'm not sure if it ever really had an end. And as everyone seems to know now, I think noir has to have some sort of real end to be truly effective.

If I know the character's coming back next week, it's hard to believe he's damned to eternity.

Kevin

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Has someone you know been affected by illness or disease? Network for Good is THE place to support health awareness efforts! http://us.click.yahoo.com/rkgkPB/UOnJAA/Zx0JAA/kqIolB/TM